About the major
A German major consists of 29 hours*, with a minimum of five GER courses numbered 300 or above (totaling at least 15 hours) and successful completion of the Goethe-Zertifikat B1 examination.
Mercer University’s German program is affiliated with a study abroad program in Germany. The prerequisite is either successful completion of GER 112 (Beginning German II) or faculty consent. Students study at the Speak and Write Institute in Marburg, Germany, or the University of Bamberg. Students will earn variable credit up to 15 hours, up to nine of which may count toward the major. No more than six credit hours may count toward the minor.
About the minor
A minor in German consists of a minimum of 18 hours*, three courses of which must be numbered 300 or above.
Majors may attain departmental honors in German by meeting the following requirements:
- Apply for admission to the program by the end of the spring semester of the junior year
- Select a director from the Foreign Languages and Literatures Department faculty
- Attain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00
- Attain a 3.75 grade point average in language courses
- Enroll in GER 495 (Directed Independent Research)
- Complete a special project in language, literature, methodology, or other approved area
- Give a departmental honors presentation.