About the major
A French major consists of 32 hours*, with a minimum of 18 hours in courses numbered 300 or above. FRE 301 (French Composition and Conversation I), FRE 302 (French Composition and Conversation II), and either FRE 303 (French Literature and Cultural Identity I) or FRE 304 (French Literature and Cultural Identity II) are required for a major, and FRE 315 (French Civilization) is strongly advised. French majors must pass an exit examination.
About the minor
A minor in French consists of a minimum of 23 hours*, nine hours of which must be in courses numbered 300 or above.
Majors may attain departmental honors in French by meeting the following requirements:
- Apply for admission to the program by the end of the spring semester of the junior year
- Select a director from the Foreign Languages and Literatures Department faculty
- Attain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00
- Attain a 3.75 grade point average in language courses
- Enroll in FRE 495 (Directed Independent Research);
- Complete a special project in language, literature, methodology, or other approved area
- Give a departmental honors presentation
*Some lower-division requirements for the major or minor may be exempted as a result of examination or evidence of prior training or experience.