About the major
A French major consists of 32 hours*, with a minimum of 18 hours in courses numbered 300 or above.
About the minor
A minor in French consists of a minimum of 23 hours*, nine hours of which must be in courses numbered 300 or above.
Majors may attain departmental honors in French by meeting the following requirements:
- Apply for admission to the program by the end of the spring semester of the junior year
- Select a director from the French faculty
- Attain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00
- Attain a 3.75 grade point average in language courses
- Enroll in FRE 495 (Directed Independent Research);
- Complete a special project in language, literature, methodology, or other approved area
- Give a departmental honors presentation
*Some lower-division requirements for the major or minor may be exempted as a result of examination or evidence of prior training or experience.