Course check sheet
Global Health Studies check sheet
Useful online resources
- Global Health Guide — From Eldis, a world class directory and gateway to electronic information resources on development, this resource guide “aims to provide access to relevant, diverse and credible research on global health in developing countries … around issues such as: social determinants of health; health systems; infectious diseases; NCDs; HIV and AIDS; injury and violence; maternal, newborn and child health; and nutrition.”
- Global Health — Very useful site from the Office of Global Health Affairs, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, with information and analysis about global health issues, national profiles, speeches, and pointers to fact sheets, statistics, reports, and guides to similar information from other U.S. and international sources.
- Globalization and Health — Affiliated with the London School of Economics, an “open access, peer-reviewed, online journal that provides an international forum for high quality original research, knowledge sharing and debate on the topic of globalization and its effects on health, both positive and negative.”
- Kaiser Global Health — From the Kaiser Family Foundation, “original policy analysis and research from the Foundation … daily news synthesis, Daily Global Health Policy Report, tracks legislation through a new Policy Tracker, and features fact sheets, country-level data through Kaiser’s Global Health Facts, and more.”
- UNAIDS — From the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS, online information and reports on HIV/AIDS worldwide.
- United Nations Population Fund — “World’s largest international source of funding for population and reproductive health programs.” This U.N. site provides much information, news, and analysis on world population and health issues, including the annual State of World Population report, free online.
- World Health Organization — Very wide range of information from this U.N.-related body, with many user-customizable features. Note especially the Library, the Bulletin of the WHO, and the Data and Statistics sections, as well as the annual World Health Reports and World Health Statistics Reports. The Global Health Observatory offers “data and analyses on global health priorities. Each theme page provides information on global situation and trends highlights, using core indicators, database views, major publications and links to relevant web pages on the theme.” The Media Centre provides the latest information. Disease Outbreak News offers the latest news and reports on communicable disease surveillance and response around the world. The International Travel and Health report “provides information on the main health risks for travelers.” There is also a Tropical Diseases section.
- WWW Virtual Library: International Affairs Resources — This is the source page for the links above. It contains a number of together annotated and carefully selected links that are of interest to scholars of public and global health issues. Other resources include links to the CDC, World Bank Health pages, the EU Global Health Institute and health issues in Latin America.