About the major
A major in Latin consists of at least 27 hours*, 15 of which must be in courses numbered 300 or above. Students are encouraged to take courses in related areas, such as ancient history, ancient art, and ancient philosophy. Majors must pass an exit examination.
About the minor
A minor in Latin consists of 18 hours*, nine of which must be in courses numbered 300 or above.
Majors may attain departmental honors in Latin by meeting the following requirements:
- Apply for admission to the program by the end of the spring semester of the junior year
- Select a director from the Foreign Languages and Literatures Department faculty
- Attain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00
- Attain a 3.75 grade point average in language courses
- Enroll in LAT 495 (Directed Independent Research)
- Complete a special project in language, literature, methodology, or other approved area
- Give a departmental honors presentation.
*Some lower-division requirements for the major or minor may be exempted as a result of examination or evidence of prior training or experience.