About the major
The Psychology curriculum is designed to:
- Give the student a background in the philosophical, theoretical, and empirical aspects of the field
- Develop the student’s basic skills in critical thinking, reading, writing, speaking, computer use, and research
- Emphasize the role of liberal education in enhancing personal and professional development
- Assure that students have the background experiences necessary to pursue graduate education
The Bachelor of Arts major in Psychology consists of at least 31 semester credit hours, and 38 semester credit hours are required for the Bachelor of Science degree.
About the minor
A minor in Psychology consists of 15 semester credit hours.
Majors may attain departmental honors in Psychology by first filing an application with the chair. To be eligible to apply, the student must fulfill the following requirements:
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.50 in all Psychology courses and a 3.00 overall grade point average
- Have completed at least three courses in Psychology, which must include PSY 101 (Introduction to Psychology), 306 (Research Methods and Statistics), and one course from either Group 1 or 2 (See Course Catalog)
To earn departmental honors, the student must then:
- Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.50 in all Psychology courses and a 3.00 overall grade point average
- Complete PSY 496A and 496B (Honors Project in Psychology I and II).