Roberts Department of Religion
Delve into the spiritual world
Mercer University’s Roberts Department of Religion has a curriculum that will teach you to:
- Interpret sacred texts
- Develop a critical appreciation for religious traditions
- Integrate the intellectual, moral, and spiritual dimensions of life
You also will develop analytical thinking and effective writing skills that will prepare you for a career or graduate school.
Majors and minors
- Religion (major and minor) — Earn a Bachelor of Arts degree while you travel on a journey of exploration to discover insights to the most essential aspects of life. This program will teach you how to analyze a text, apply your knowledge to daily task, converse objectively with others, and think and write critically. As a Religion student, you will have the opportunity to attend thought-provoking lectures and participate in community service.
- Religion and Public Diplomacy (minor) — Examine the influence of religion on international relations and how religion can be used as a constructive instrument for peace. This program focuses on inter-religious dialogue and the idea that learning about others’ beliefs, practices, promotes understanding and tolerance.
- Faith-Based Diplomacy — In this program, you will explore how religion and public life intersect and learn how religion can be used to build trust and cooperation among people. This certificate has a significant service requirement in which you are encouraged to be an interfaith leader in the Mercer community.