Dr. Alexis L. Chauchois
Assistant Professor of French
Dr. Chauchois’ goal is always to place students at the center of their own learning environment by allowing them to be involved in deciding why, what, and how their learning will take shape. He was nominated every year from 2016 to 2020 as an Outstanding Teaching Assistant and obtained the Florida State University Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award (2018-2019), a university-wide honor. He intends to transmit his energy and passion for the French language and literature to Mercer students.
Dr. Chauchois’ current writing project, emerging from research related to his dissertation, explores the presence of blood in Louis-Ferdinand Céline’s novels.
- Ph.D., French Literature, Florida State University
- M.A., French Literature & Linguistic, Sorbonne-Nouvelle (Paris 3), Paris, France
- B.A., French Literature & Linguistic, Sorbonne-Nouvelle (Paris 3), Paris, France
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Université d’Artois, France
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Université d’Artois, France
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Université d’Artois, France
Dr. Chauchois’ area of specialization encompasses modern French and Francophone literature and culture from the 19th to the 21st century and is based on an interdisciplinary approach, mixing anthropological, philosophical, historical, and medical reflections. His work is part of a larger field of study that concerns the apprehension of the mechanisms of ostracism that led to hatred, racism, exclusion, and objectification of the other. His research also concerns the expression and formation of Black identities based on the expression of the Haitian identity and the place of Haiti in the world through the question of exile.
Dr. Chauchois’ research interests include:
- French and Francophone literature (19th-21st centuries)
- Contemporary French literature (prose, theater, and poetry) and culture
- Caribbean literature
- (Post) colonialism
- Polemicist authors
- War literature (World War I)
- May ’68
- Visual culture
- Medical humanities
- Women’s authors
His teaching interests include:
- French language, all levels
- French cinema
- La cuisine française
- French literature and medicine/doctors
- Study abroad
- Contemporary French society and culture (18th-21st centuries)
Dr. Chauchois has been a professor of civil engineering in France for several years, and he is still a member of the editorial board for KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering (Springer). He was also a visiting professor at Korea University in Seoul, South Korea.
He has a passion for sports and practiced mixed martial arts (he became World Champion in Kempo Karate in 2021 in London). He is now a CrossFit addict, and a level-2 trainer.
French and Francophone Literature
- “Féerie Pour Une Autre Fois II : Céline, Le Cinématographe de la Catastrophe.” Contemporary French & Francophone Studies : SITES, vol. 93, no. 3, 2020, pp. 322–329.
- “Le Jazz de Jean-Claude Charles.” The French Review, vol. 93, no. 4, May 2020, pp. 136–44.
- “L’enracinerrance : un pont entre la France et l’Amérique.” Contemporary French & Francophone Studies: SITES, vol. 23, no. 1, 2019, pp. 86–94.
- “Les bouteilles à la mer de Makenzy Orcel.” The French Review, vol. 93, no. 2, December 2019, pp. 101–10.
- “Le sang de la Mort de Louis-Ferdinand Céline.” Romance Notes, vol. 58, no. 3, 2018, pp. 415–27.
- “Entrevue avec l’écrivain haïtien Makenzy Orcel.” Journal of Haitian Studies, vol. 24, no. 1, Spring 2018, pp. 136–45.
Refereed Book Chapters
- Jean-Claude Charles: A Reader’s Guide, in Martin Munro & Eliana Vãgãlãu (Ed.), La dissipation des nuages dans Bamboola Bamboche de Jean-Claude Charles, Liverpool University Press, 2021.
- Does “la lutte continue”? The Global Afterlives of May ’68, in William Cloonan, Barry Faulk, Martin Munro, and Christian Weber (Ed.), Lorsque Michel Houellebecq propose l’Islam en réponse à mai 68, Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2020.
- “Constructability and heat exchange efficiency of large diameter cast-in-place energy piles with various configurations of heat exchange pipe”, S Park, C Sung, K Jung, B Sohn, A Chauchois, H Choi, Applied Thermal Engineering 90, 1061-1071, 2015
- “Evaluation of gluing of CFRP onto concrete structures by infrared thermography coupled with thermal impedance”, A Chauchois, F Brachelet, D Defer, E Antczak, H Choi, Composites Part B: Engineering 69, 350-358, 2015
- “In situ characterization of thermophysical soil properties—Measurements and monitoring of soil water content with a thermal probe”, A Chauchois, E Antczak, D Defer, F Brachelet, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 4 (4), 043106, 2012
- “Formalism of thermal waves applied to the characterization of materials thermal effusivity”, A Chauchois, E Antczak, D Defer, O Carpentier, Review of Scientific Instruments 82 (7), 074902, 2011