Dr. Carolyn Yackel
Professor of Mathematics
- Ph.D., University of Michigan
- M.S., University of Michigan
- S.B., University of Chicago
Mathematics and Art (MSC: 104:4), Recreational Mathematics (MSC: 102), and a scholarly interest in Mathematical Teaching and Learning (MSC: 101)
Major Editing Work:
- Proceedings of Bridges 2020: Mathematics, Art, Music, Architecture, Education, Culture, edited by Carolyn Yackel, Robert Bosch, Eve Torrence, and Kristof Fenyvesi (555 pages) Tessellations Publishing, Phoenix, AZ, 2020.
- Figuring Fibers, edited by Carolyn Yackel with associate editor sarah-marie belcastro, Providence, R.I: American Mathematics Society, 2018.
- Crafting by Concepts, edited sarah-marie belcastro and Carolyn Yackel. Natick, MA: AK Peters, 2011.
- Making Mathematics with Needlework: Ten Papers and Ten Projects, edited sarah-marie belcastro and Carolyn Yackel. Wellesley, MA: AK Peters, 2009.
- Writing about the mathematics of temari, working with recent graduate Jordan Houser on her mathematical art
- Fiber arts and math connections, making mathematical art
Dr. Carolyn Yackel is a member of the following:
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Peer Review Committee
- Gathering 4 Gardner Board of Advisers
- Mathematical Association of America Committee on Posters, Panels, and Workshops
- AK Peters/CRC Recreational Mathematics Board
Recently completed project:
- Yackel, C.A. “Wallpaper Patterns Admissible in Shibori.” Journal of Mathematics and the Arts doi: 10.1080/17513472.2021.1971018
- Taalman, L. and Yackel, C.A. “Walllpaper Patterns for Lattice Designs.” In Proceedings of Bridges 2020.
- Yackel, C.A. “Rhombic Triacontahedron.” In Illustrating Mathematics edited by Diana Davis, 26-27. Providence, R.I: American Mathematics Society, 2020.
- Symington, M. and Yackel, C.A. “Teaching Chats: Sharing vs. Instruction.” Teaching toolkit section of MAA Focus 34(4) August/September (2019) 30-31.
- Yackel, C.A. “Introduction” and “Treating Truchet Tiles like Templeton Squares.” In Figuring Fibers edited by C.A. Yackel Providence, R.I: American Mathematics Society, 2018.